May 5, 2009

Reasons Why

One of the reasons I like being a reporter is because I get to meet different types of people. It‘s a lot of fun hanging out and talking to people, covering events and just seeing how things happen. Between school and the Banner, I’ve been covering a ton of stories. Now that I’m done with finals, I have some time to update and talk about what I’ve been working on.

First, if you haven’t already, check out Boston’s Cool Spots. It’s my newest blog and I’m fairly proud of it. My professor seemed to like. She talked a lot about the pictures and writing being well done. However, she wasn’t a fan of all my multimedia pieces. She has a point, some of them are borrowed. Still, I like the blog because it can expand beyond its initial use. Sure, it was a final project for a class, but as I find new cool places, I can update the blog with them and I think that gives it a longevity that appeals to me.

Tae Kwon Do

Nick Davidson is a guy I work with at my tutoring job. He’s a student at Emerson and also happens to be a 4th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I did a “beat” story about him for one of my classes. He’s a funny guy because his outward demeanor is relaxed and very calm, but once he flips to Tae Kwon Do, he’s flash of speed and agility, the quick sly smile replaced by a look of cool focus as he kicks a “pork chop” pad, or even lays a side kick into someone’s ribs as he spars.

I spent some time at one of his practices. I came away convinced that I would not want to test him in a fight and that if I ever got into a fight with someone else; he’s a guy I’d want on my side. (Nick is in the white gi with black trim)


Elumba's Faith

Most recently, I interviewed a Northeastern University graduate named Missy Elumba. She is a rock star. I was sent to meet her because she had been awarded the Hockey Humanitarian award for her volunteer work in the Boston area. She also was named one of NU’s top scholar-athletes and was given the Joanne Rowlands award because of it. I told you she was a rock star.

During my research about her, I realized very quickly that her spirituality was a major part of her personality. I was concerned because I’ve met people who are religious, so much so, that it comes off as being fanatical. Missy is just the opposite. Her love of God, while obvious, is not overbearing nor does she force her love of God upon people. It comes off as a quiet confidence that she is more than willing to talk about and reference if you ask, but will never broach the subject unless someone else does first.

In our first meeting as we spoke about her major, health sciences, and how she was going to attend a missionary school to better understand God, she stopped, almost self-conscientiously and asked me if I was a Christian. I told her I was and she smiled, looked relieved and continued talking about her future. I don’t know if she would have tried to recruit me to go to church with her had I said I was not a Christian but I got the definite feeling that she did not want to make me uncomfortable with her talk of God.

When I asked her why missionary school instead of medical school she said “As many people are in the world, there are that many interpretations of God. If I am to be a missionary, I need to figure out who God so that I can explain it to others who don’t know.”

I was blown away.

Needless to say Missy is going to do great things. Sometimes you meet people and you can tell very quickly, they are destined for great things. I realize how cliché this sounds, but that’s the feeling I got after meeting and talking to Missy Elumba. I wish her nothing but the best and I look forward to hearing about the great things she will accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment