Sep 28, 2011

Youth Involvement

I noticed a recent fad of today's youth. They are wearing these thick rubber bracelets that say, "I <3 Boobies." Have you seen this?

I asked one of my late-teens/early 20s co-workers about it and she said that I could find them at a local store that caters to (tragically) hip youngsters. A place like Journeys or Hot Topic, no doubt.

My co-worker went on to explain that the campaign was started to get youth involved in and aware of ways they can be activists. Plus, a portion of the profits is donated to breast cancer research.

My first reaction was curmudgeonly. Why are they wearing these silly bracelets? I thought. Even if it's for a good cause, the purpose is lost in the message!

But then I gave it some time to marinate. A few years ago, I did a story on a breast cancer charity started by a Harvard grad. The charity was aimed at recent college graduates and people under the age of 30. Naturally, the group had a catchy name, "Saving Second Base" (if you don't get it, you're probably too old to be targeted by the group).

As the group grew in notoriety, they changed their name to something less amusing and more "age-appropriate." I remember being bummed out by the change. It was as if the group lost a bit of itself, the part that made them edgy and connected them to the demographic they were trying to reach.

Considering all of that, I think the "I <3 Boobies" bracelets are pretty cool. Sure, I'm too old to wear it without looking foolish, but I think it's a great way for young people to show their awareness of the issue and support it in a fashionable way.

For that, I say kudos. Wear it proudly and rock it hard. I <3 Boobies too.

No comments:

Post a Comment