Oct 6, 2011

On Support

Yesterday, when I realized I would not be able to produce a full entry, I sent a brief apology to those who read my "scribblings" on this blog. I like to think of my blog as an open forum where I post interesting things that I see or that happen to me and then other people respond to it. I'm not so arrogant to assume that everyone hangs on the words I type, but I'm happy to know that there are people out there who stop by and read what I have to say from time to time.

A few hours after I posted my "mea culpa," a friend of mine left a note on my Facebook wall saying that she enjoyed my entries and would miss them. Her note made me realize a few things:

1) While I was working on creating a habit of writing for myself, I was also creating a habit of people expecting a new post from me daily. It's one thing to write for yourself with no idea or care that what you write will be read by others, but now that I have an audience (minor though it may be) I feel like I have an obligation to to my readership to produce in a timely fashion. Thank you for that reminder.

2) If I want my blog to be a true forum, I need to reciprocate. I'm not the only writer out here. I know many people who are sharing their ideas and experiences on their own blogs. None of us get paid to blog (though Fienberg gets paid to write poetry), it's something we do because we feel a desire to express ourselves creatively.They listen and support me, it seems only fair that I do the same.

Let me take this moment to "press up" a great blog about food and cooking. It's called Salt to Taste and honestly, I can't read it without getting hungry. It's that good. Check it out, the writer is a close friend and she does awesome work, both on the blog and in the kitchen.

I'm not sure if I forgot or just took for granted the amount of support I get from my friends and those who read my blog. They may not be the most vocal of supporters, in terms of leaving comments (feel free to do so!) but I appreciate you all the same. Thank you for everything, seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment